Prof. Dr.-Ing. Norbert Wehn
Building 12, Room 232
VLSI-architectures for mobile communication, forward error correction techniques, advanced SoC, reliability issues in integrated circuits, low-power techniques, transient computing, advanced memory architectures, in-memory computing, 3D integration, hardware accelerators for machine learning and big data applications, IoT. More than 300 publications at prestigious conferences and magazines.
Education and Professional Career
1978 - 1984
Field of Study: Computer Engineering at the TU Darmstadt, diploma degree
1984 - 1991
Ph.D. Candidate and Research Assistant at the Institute for Microelectronics at the TU Darmstadt, Germany
Ph.D. ("summa cum laude")
1991 - 1994
Central Research and Development at Siemens AG
1994 - 1997
Head of the Product Development Section Standard Derivatives, Semiconductor Division at Siemens AG
Habilitation, Official Lecturer at the TU Darmstadt
Acceptance of a C3 professorship offer at the TU Kaiserslautern
Refusal of a C4 professorship offer at the University of Bochum for the Chair "Integrated Circuits"
Refusal of a C4 professorship offer at the University of Mannheim for the Chair "Circuit Design"
Acceptance of a C4 professorship offer at the TU Kaiserslautern for the Chair "Microelectronic Systems Design"
Refusal of a W3 professorship offer at the TU Darmstadt for the Chair "Integrated Electronic Systems"
2013 - 2017
Vice President of University of Kaiserslautern for Studies, Teaching and International affairs
- Member of the Executive Committee DATE-Conference 2002-today
- Vice General Chair DATE-Conference 2002
- Program Chair DATE-Conference 2003
- Vice General Chair DATE-Conference 2004
- General Chair DATE-Conference 2005
- Member of the Executive Committee ICCAD 2006-2008
- Program Chair edaWorkshop 2007-2009
- Member of the Executive Committee DAC-Conference 2011-2013
- General Cochair International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL) 2014
- Member of the Program Committee of various national and international conferences
- Speaker of the ITG/GMM/GI Technical Committee "Rechnergestützter Schaltungs- und Systementwurf" from 2000-2009
- Member of the scientific advisory board of the GMM und ITG from 2000-2009
- Member of the scientific advisory board of the "Europäischen Akademie Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler" 2007-2013
- Associate Editor of the "Design Automation for Embedded Systems" Journal, Springer, USA
- Associate Editor of the "ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (ACM TECS" Journal, ACM Press, New York, USA
- Board Member of Govenor IEEE CEDA
- Speaker of the Research Center "Ambient Systems" at the TU Kaiserslautern 2005-2014
- Board Member of the "Center for Mathematical and Computational Modeling" at the TU Kaiserslautern
- Technology Ambassador of City Kaiserslautern 2013-today
- Several industrial consulting activities
- Chair of the "European Design Automation Association" 2009-2012, since 2017
- Member of the Kaiserslautern University Council, since 2018
- Member of the DFG Fachkollegium „Rechnerarchitekturen und eingebettete Systeme“ 2020-2023
Prizes and Honours
- "Goebel-Preis der Köhler Stiftung für hervorragende wissenschaftliche Arbeit" 1989
- "University Partnership in Research Award 2000 for Technical Excellence" Firma Motorola
- "Multimediapreis des Landes Rheinland-Pfalz 2001"
- "Design Contest Award in Silicon Realization Category" DATE 2004"
- "Design Contest Award in Silicon Realization Category" DATE 2005"
- "Golden Core Member" IEEE Computer Society 2006
- "Outstanding Contribution Award" IEEE Computer Society 2006
- "Date Fellow" 2007
- "Senior Member" IEEE 2010
- "Best Paper Cosar Award" IEEE SoC Design Conference 2011
- "Lehrpreis 2012/2011" des Landes Rheinland-Pfalz"
- "HiPEAC Technology Transfer Award" 2015
- "Best Paper Award" IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI 2015
- "Best Paper Award" MEMSYS Conference 2016
- "Best Paper Award" Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics 2017
- "Best Paper Award" MEMSYS Conference 2018
- "Best Paper Award" MEMSYS Conference 2019
- "Best Paper Award" PATMOS Conference 2019